Wednesday, September 19, 2012

50 Reasons Why I Love Being a Mommy

Today I had a friend from High School (a woman, with no children and not married) make a comment that being a mom was not a "real job".  I won't quote verbatim what she said, but I found it rather offensive, and it made me pretty upset.  I almost jumped on here and typed out a big long post about all the work that stay-at-home mom's have to do every day, but the truth is, I KNOW what I have to do everyday, I KNOW how hard I work...and I don't need to justify it to anyone.  So instead I made a list of just 50 of the many many reasons why I LOVE being "just" a mommy.

1. Waking up to the sweet sound of my baby girl talking to herself in her crib, and seeing the pure joy on her face when I go in to get her up.
2.  Having my five year old give me a high-five because he had a great day at school and earned a sticker.
3.  Having my three year old tell me how much he wants the new baby to be born and how he wants to name him/her "Jemima".
4.  Having the ability to be pregnant, to grow a little tiny baby that is 1/2 me, 1/2 my husband and feeling the sweet little movements of this baby.
5.  Being able to still nurse my sweet little girl, I really enjoy the quite snugly moments with her, and the smiles she gives me during and after.
6.  Hearing my boys say their prayers every night.
7.  Getting hugs a million times a day from each of my three kids.
8.  Getting sticky, slobbery kisses a million times a day from each of my three kids.
9.  Seeing my five year old helping out another child who is hurt or upset at school.
10.  Watching my kids learn a new skill.
11.  Being told "I love you Mommy".
12.  Making a meal and having my kids enjoy eating it and tell me how yummy it was.
13.  Snuggling with a sick child and knowing that just holding them makes them feel better.
14.  Watching how peaceful my children are when they are sleeping.
15.  Having my kids tell me "I missed you Mommy!" after sneaking out to go to the grocery store while daddy is home.
16.  How my five year old is not embarrassed to hold my hand, hug and kiss me, or tell me he loves me in front of all the kids at school.
17.  Watching my kids playing together.
18.  Hearing my boys telling each other that the other is their "best buddy"
19.  Hearing them laugh.
20.  Crawling around on the floor and making a fool out of myself to make them giggle.
21.  Hearing the hilarious things they come up with on a daily basis.
22.  Feeling accomplished when my kids actually learn something important from me.
23.  Looking at pictures and realizing how much they have grown and changed.
25.  Seeing my kids cheer each other on when learning something new.
26.  Having them all piled up in my bed with daddy in the morning during the weekends.
27.  Watching how excited they get over simple little things.
28.  Hearing my five year old tell me what he learned at church.
29.  Hearing my three year old tell me how excited he is to go hunting with Daddy.
30.  Hearing my children sing.
31.  Seeing my husband playing with our children.
32.  Seeing my husband comforting one of our kids who is hurt, upset, or scared.
33.  Holidays are just so much more fun when you have kids!!
34.  Always having some sort of comic relief in the home.
35.  Always having little hands that are willing to help.  (Even if the "help" is more of a hindrance than anything)
36.  Hearing my kids making up nick-names for each other. (Noah started calling McKenna "Sugar Snack" no idea where he got that from)
37.  Hearing my kids tell each other that the love them.
38.  Snuggling on the couch with them just because.
39.  Reading them stories, its one of my favorite parts of the day.
40.  Having an excuse to watch cartoons.
41.  Seeing little smiles that are always contagious no matter how crappy your day has been.
42.  Having someone compliment you on how beautiful, sweet, helpful, kind (etc) your child is.
43.  Always having someone to hold your hand.
44.  Being able to dress them up in ridiculous and cute outfits.
45.  Just being able to watch them learn and grow.
46.  Looking at them and knowing you helped to create that.
47.  Knowing that God must love you and trust you enough to let you be a parent to one of His precious children.
48.  Being able to help someone else achieve their hopes and dreams.
49.  Having the joy that comes from serving someone other than yourself everyday.
50.  Being able to understand the magnitude with which one human can love another human being.



2 comments:

The Campos Clan said...

You are an amazing mother. And you obviously appreciate the effort that it takes every day to be a stay-at-home mom. It is definitely a REAL JOB!
Thanks for posting these reasons :) And I know that you and I both could add about a billion more!

Wildwood Flower said...

You make the hardest job on Earth look like a breeze and that is quite an accomplishment! You are an amazing mommy and your kids will treasure this time they get to have you all to themselves (and vise versa, i'm sure) :) keep being the awesome mom you are!!!