Saturday, September 4, 2010

Zucchini Recipies


This summer I grew some zucchini in my garden.  I usually went out and cut them when they were a decent size, still small and tender, yummy to saute or broil, etc.  However, I was stuck up in Reno for a week waiting for Mike's truck to get fixed, and when I got home I had one GIGANTIC zucchini.  This thing weighed a TON!!  Out of this one zucchini I got 11 cups of shredded zucchini and here are a couple of yummy recipes I found to use up all the zucchini I had.  (I still have baggies of frozen zucchini in the freezer!)

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

(This was a HUGE hit! Everybody loved it and the orange zest added a lot to it!)

3 C all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1 t baking soda
3 eggs
2 C granulated sugar
1 C vegetable oil
2 t vanilla extract
2 C grated zucchini
1 C chopped pecans
1 C semisweet chocolate chips
1 T orange zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 9x5in loaf pans.

Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, spices, and baking soda.

In large mixing bowl beat eggs until fluffy, add sugar and beat until well blended.  Stir in oil, vanilla, zucchini, pecans, chocolate chips, and orange zest.  Stir in flour mixture and pour into greased pans.

Bake for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Immediately remove from pans and cool on rack.  (It took a little longer than 50 minutes for mine to cook, I think b/c of the high altitude.)

Fried Zucchini Patties

3 C shredded zucchini
1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
3 t dried parsley
1 large clove garlic minced
1 large egg
1 C Bisquick
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in large bowl.  Spray cooking spray into large skillet and heat over medium high heat.  Drop by tablespoon fulls into skillet.  Once brown flip and brown the other side (pretty much like a small pancake)

They are really yummy if you dip them in marinara sauce :) 

3 comments:

Kari said...

I'm jealous that you had a garden this year... maybe next year...

Unknown said...

It was fun, everything but our tomato plant I grew from seeds. We didn't get a lot of produce though b/c we had a very short growing season, it was cold and snowing up until june. We got a TON of peas though :)

Monson Family said...

Hi Leslie! I'm so glad I got your comment so now I can see your blog too! Great Zucchini! I will have to try one of your recipes soon!